When we talk about wearable technology the first thing that comes to mind is smartwatches. Have you ever thought that how dramatically this electronic device has evolved over the years? The journey from just a fancy electronic timekeeping device to countless uses it now offers is so overwhelming and surprising at the same time. A few years back, it was hard to even imagine that we would actually be able to make calls from wristwatches.
Apart from functioning as a timekeeping device, the new generation of smartwatches is a whole mini-computer cluttered with many sensors that you are carrying around with you on your wrist. Making calls, reading text messages, and storing pictures are a thing of the past now. With a range of connectivity options on the list, smartwatches now have the potential to do wonders beyond imagination.
Wearable technology has already transformed health care in many ways. With a bundle of applications and software coupled with different sensors, smartwatches can now support and evaluate health in everyday living. The reason smartwatches are increasingly gaining popularity among masses is the ease of access to a range of health care tracking applications. Familiarity to the technology, easy availability, recognition as a consumer commodity, the capability of real-time monitoring of physiological measures, customizable notification settings and supporting communication between patients and health care providers are some of the further factors contributing to increased use of wearable technology.
With such a vast advancement we have seen so far, more can be expected in coming years as extensive research is in the pipeline and manufacturers are spending millions to create new features and beat the competition in this fast-growing technology niche.
Advantages of smartwatches
It would be insane to say that people are not aware of health-related advantages of wearable technology but to be on the safer side, here are some ways smartwatches can help you manage your health.
- Smartwatches are an extension of smartphones, but the major difference lies in the way you interact with both devices. While smartphones can still be difficult to use for monitoring health from your pockets or bags, smartwatches have resolved this problem since you are wearing them throughout the day and this allows users to be connected to the device almost always.
- Walking is the basic level of physical activity which almost everyone begins with or already has as a part of your routine to keep healthy and active. Smartwatches have built-in pedometers which give you an insight into your walking routine such the number of steps you have taken. This function allows you to exactly monitor and plan your walking routine.
- Smartwatches have built-in optical sensors which can scan the rate of blood flow in the wrist. This technology is called Photoplethysmography and is used to measure heart rate. So smartwatches can keep you updated on your heart rate and notify you of any changes based on the activities you do.
- One of the important contributors to good health is quality sleep as it allows the body to recover from daylong physical and mental exertion. One of the key health-related features that smartwatches offer is sleep tracking. Most of the smartwatches are now capable of monitoring your sleep patterns and can create data-based reports covering the number of hours slept, quality of sleep, and how many times you woke up. Although there is a debate on the accuracy of readings these devices generate, the data can still be helpful to monitor your sleep.
- Setting your fitness and health-related targets was never easy. But smartwatches have resolved this problem for good. You can find a range of target or goal-setting applications which allow you to easily plan your workout routines. You will get regular alerts regarding your progress throughout the goal you have set making it easy for you to make any changes in your routine.
- Smartwatches are now widely acknowledged for one the feature which most fitness enthusiasts love. Yes, smartwatches can log your calorie intake and help you manage your diet plans for fitness or weight-loss goals. You can also design and follow your meal plans with help from smartwatch applications. How amazing is this, that you can receive regular reminders from your watch about your due or upcoming meals.
- If you are a beginner in pursuing fitness or getting your body in shape, you will probably find it difficult to follow a workout routine. Smartwatches allow you to set reminders for the workout. It’s hard to push yourself to do something which is difficult especially in the beginning phase. Let your smartwatch do the pushing for you. Even if you are already following a little workout routine, your smartwatch will help you not to miss out and gradually turn your routine into a habit.
Which wearable technology will suit you?
You’ll find a range of wearable tech out in the market, but which one will suit you best is for you to find out. Apart from what these devices are offering, users also give immense importance to how they will add to your personality and outlook when put on.
Here is a list of fully-loaded smart devices for an immersive wearable experience that is equipped with everything and are perfect fitness-oriented timepieces to record your laps and splits, track your workouts, help you regulate your sleep, give you active training tips—and look awesome on your wrist.
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Garmin Fenix 6
- Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2
- Fitbit Versa 2
- Suunto 3 Fitness Smart Watch